Neglect

“Then King David went in and sat before the Lord and said, "Who am I, O Lord God, and what is my house, that you have brought me thus far? And yet this was a small thing in your eyes, O Lord God. You have spoken also of your servant's house for a great while to come, and this is instruction for mankind, O Lord God! And what more can David say to you? For you know your servant, O Lord God! Because of your promise, and according to your own heart, you have brought about all this greatness, to make your servant know it. Therefore you are great, O Lord God. For there is none like you, and there is no God besides you, according to all that we have heard with our ears. And who is like your people Israel, the one nation on earth whom God went to redeem to be his people, making himself a name and doing for them great and awesome things by driving out before your people, whom you redeemed for yourself from Egypt, a nation and its gods? And you established for yourself your people Israel to be your people forever. And you, O Lord, became their God. And now, O Lord God, confirm forever the word that you have spoken concerning your servant and concerning his house, and do as you have spoken. And your name will be magnified forever, saying, 'The Lord of hosts is God over Israel,' and the house of your servant David will be established before you. For you, O Lord of hosts, the God of Israel, have made this revelation to your servant, saying, 'I will build you a house.' Therefore your servant has found courage to pray this prayer to you. And now, O Lord God, you are God, and your words are true, and you have promised this good thing to your servant. Now therefore may it please you to bless the house of your servant, so that it may continue forever before you. For you, O Lord God, have spoken, and with your blessing shall the house of your servant be blessed forever."” ‭‭2nd Samuel ‭7:18-29‬ ‭ESV‬‬

Recently, I have felt the strong pressing of God's hand on my spirit concerning neglect, particularly my neglect of my time with Him. I have been allowing anything and everything to take precedence over my time alone with Him. I have simply not been taking the time I need to have consistent conversations with God.

As I read the passage above, I have been haunted by what David said. I will go ahead and set the stage for what David is talking about. God has been moving among David's people. The ark of the covenant is on the move as well. David has begun to have visions of building God a proper house in Israel. God shares His vision with for His people through the prophet Nathan and David is overwhelmed that he is a part of this grand plan.

It is then that David asks the question, "Who am I?" It is a question that shows the man's astonishment that God would even think of using him. Honestly, this is a question that I often find myself asking God. What about me makes me so special?

You and I live in a world of backwards wisdom, and it is easy to think that something could be more important as to get priority over our daily conversations with the Lord. I mean God will understand that I didn't pray this morning because I was late for work. He will understand why I didn't stop and talk to the man from church, you know the one that always has some story of suffering and woe. I mean I was late, God will understand. How many times do we, Christians, fall into this way of thinking? I imagine that it is more often than we would like admit.

I know in my heart that God doesn't need me to talk to Him. He doesn't need anything, He's God. But He saw it fit to make you and I part of His plan. He didn't do it because He needed it, He did it because He wanted to. God wants, honestly wants isn't a strong enough word, God DESIRES a close and personal relationship with each one of us. He has a unexplainable and wonderful love for each one of His children. He WANTS to talk to me. He knows that our lives depend on it. He knows that without Him we have no hope.

You can't afford to neglect the time He wants to spend with you.

I can't afford to neglect the time He wants to spend with me.

So what are we waiting for......Who are we to ignore God?

Comments