Commitment

"Commit your work to the Lord, and your plans will be established. The Lord has made everything for its purpose, even the wicked for the day of trouble." Proverbs 16:3-4 ESV 

I remember the first time I heard this verse. The words are so familiar to me that it is almost like a friend giving me encouragement and clear direction in every season that I face in my life. I learned early in my life that God walks besides me every day and that He will bless me as long as I remained in His will.

The problem that I have always had was with the fact that God doesn't give me any indication about timing in either of these verses. I don't know if God's plans for me are today, tomorrow, or four years from now. For me, the journey has been long and difficult (mostly my own fault.) In my own life I have a hard time seeing any discernible success. But God has called me to be available and faithful to His ways and His word. The results of my life are ultimately up to Him. The only part that I have to play is the choices that I make and the level of commitment that I express while making them. Everything else is up to His timing, His impact, His influence, and His purposes. He has the big picture for my life and all I can see is through the key hole. If I simply commit to Him, my plans will succeed, as success is defined by Him.

But I have to ask, will my success be success by the world's definition? Not always (that is hard to swallow but necessary). Things will occur which may or may not be recognized by my boss, the community at large, or even those that live under my own roof as successful, but what I have to realize is that the standard I set isn't the standard that God sets for me. What I have to remember is that all I am required to do is be guided by committing my actions, life, day to day efforts, and every single decision to the Lord.

I can want to be successful in my line of work. I can want to be "comfortable" in my job. I can want to be "comfortable" with my financial package. But if I am not doing these things through a commitment to the Lord ultimately it will fail. I am called to build the traits that the Lord has instructed me to in my employees. Traits like: integrity, character, commitment to do the work we are assigned to the best of our ability. I have to lead by example and commit every action to the Lord.

Wish I could say that I was...sadly I haven't always lead this way. The standard of my success isn't always in line with God's standard. I have to ask myself (and so do you,) what standard of success are you looking for? Are you seeking to make a difference in the lives of others or simply seeking to line your pockets on the backs of others around you? Are you committed to the plans you have made or the ones that He has called you to?


Comments