What Defines You?

I like to think that the apostle Paul was successful. As a result of his efforts the gospel spread rapidly throughout the Roman Empire. Within 100 years of his death, there were strong churches thriving everywhere Paul had traveled. But back during Paul's time on earth there would be a great many that wouldn't consider Paul a success. And that included the man himself. In my study, I have learned that Paul wasn't very much to look at or listen to. He even said as much about himself. The work that he did often got him in trouble, trouble that lead to beatings, imprisonment, and getting thrown out of many of the towns he visited. 

The standards of success or failure during his time didn't matter too much to Paul. He didn't use the worlds measurement of success or failure to gauge his worth or the work that he did. And the funny thing is Paul still have to learn to be content with his circumstances. He didn't start out with that attitude. I can tell you that it isn't human nature to be happy despite our circumstances. We all want to be happy because of our circumstances. 

Paul's change was a result of Christ transforming him from the inside out. The result is the same with you and I. We all can learn to shift the source of contentment and discontentment from circumstances to God. We are all his much loved sons and daughters. He doesn't love me because of my successes or my failures. He loves me because I am His. That is where we are to find our truest sense of joy. 

Rob Stearns once said, "You are the same person after your loss as you were before your loss." What this tells me is that there is a big difference between failing and being a failure. It is through strength of character that we find the power to get up and keep moving when we have failed. 

You might wonder: "Where do I find the strength to move forward?" Paul freely said that such strength is not native to him or his soul. All the strength that Paul had came directly from his relationship and dependence on Jesus Christ. He states it plainly in Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." Through our hardships and failures we learn to ask God for strength. Paul learned to "fall forward" into the everlasting arms of God. He is the one that gives us strength we don't have it ourselves. 

Don't allow yourself to be defined by your success or failure. Be defined by the one that paid the price and sacrificed himself for you. Be defined by Christ and Christ alone. 

Comments