Mistakes

Jesus said in Matthew 5:4, "Blessed ate those who mourn, for they shall be comforted."

As I reflect on my failures, it is a blessing to have this promise from Jesus. Especially when failures can come not just from my actions but from the actions of others as well as circumstances beyond my control, or a combination of all three situations. If you have lived very long then you know that failure is no fun. But it is a benefit to us all in the long run. When "mourning" over my mistakes compels me to make things right with God and others around me, God will come to me and comfort me and all my relationships improve.

If you are like me and struggle with being a perfectionist, grieving the mistakes humble us and put us in touch with our humanity. Anxiety driven striving alienates us from our emotions. It allows us to feel sadness, anxiety and the stress that comes along with it. And feeling sadness is uncomfortable. Without the emotional blessing, yes I said blessing, of sadness, we would probably never gain the guts to admit it when we make a mistake. But I have found that when I admit my mistakes, I am often surprised how often people are ready to forgive me. If you make a mistake with a colleague, student, employee, or a family member, admit it, ask their forgiveness and commit to learning from the mistake you made.

You also need to deal with your mistakes through prayer. You can ask for forgiveness first and then I recommend asking for courage, wisdom, and perseverance. All of these are things God loves to give freely to us. All we need do is ask. Through our failures we learn that we must depend on God's power in our lives. Our faith in Christ enables you and I to do things through His power that we otherwise could not accomplish.

"But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." 2nd Corinthians 12:9 ESV

“Have you not known? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable. He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength. Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted; but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.” Isaiah 40: 28-31 ESV 

Don't allow self pity to drag you down when you make a mistake. Use the tools that God gives us and lean into Him. Seek His forgiveness and the forgiveness of others and He will restore you. 

Comments