Dwell

“Simon, Simon, behold, Satan demanded to have you, that he might sift you like wheat, but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned again, strengthen your brothers.” Peter said to him, “Lord, I am ready to go with you both to prison and to death.” Jesus said, “I tell you, Peter, the rooster will not crow this day, until you deny three times that you know me.” Luke 22:31-34 ESV

In Luke chapter 22 we see a glimpse of a conversation between Peter and Jesus. It starts with bad news. Jesus tells Peter that Satan intends to "sift you like wheat." Peter stands boldly and claims that he is ready to go to prison with Jesus and even lay his life down for him. Jesus rocks Peter's world when he responds to him in verse 34, "I tell you, Peter, the rooster will not crow this day, until you deny three times that you know me." Sadly, Luke doesn't record what Peter's response was but I am almost sure that statement from Jesus rocked Peter to his core, whether he actually believed Jesus or not.

I find great encouragement in this passage of Scripture. Right after Jesus slams the door on Peter he turns right around and gives him great encouragement. He tells Peter, "but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned again, strengthen your brothers."

Jesus already knew that Peter was going to fail miserably. But that never kept Him from giving Peter the task of encouraging and strengthening his brothers. Jesus looked beyond Peter's obvious faults and upcoming failures. He sees only the good things in Peter. He sees his strength, faith, and compassion. He knows that Peter will be the one to build up his fellow disciples and it didn't matter to Jesus that he would fail along the way.

If that doesn't encourage you I don't know what will!

I know where I am weak. I know exactly how many times I mess up and fail to live up to the standards that God has set for me. I am a broken and sinful man. Yet when Jesus looks at me He looks beyond my faults and my failures, which are too numerous to list. He calls me into His service not because He sees an unrealistic picture of who I am to be but because He sees me fully. He sees that I am bound to make mistakes. At the same time He sees me as a gifted man for service in His ministry.

Now, it is still important to learn from my mistakes. Sometimes I make the same one three or four times before I figure it out but the key is to not let them become overbearing obstacles in my life. I have to move forward, trust God for both forgiveness and guidance, and prepare for what He send's to me next. All I have to do is humble myself and learn from my mistakes. And when I have received the forgiveness and strength that I need, I know that I must move forward in my life. I can't dwell on the mistakes.

Comments