Dependence

“Thus says the Lord: “Cursed is the man who trusts in man and makes flesh his strength, whose heart turns away from the Lord. He is like a shrub in the desert, and shall not see any good come. He shall dwell in the parched places of the wilderness, in an uninhabited salt land. “Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose trust is the Lord. He is like a tree planted by water, that sends out its roots by the stream, and does not fear when heat comes, for its leaves remain green, and is not anxious in the year of drought, for it does not cease to bear fruit.” ‭‭Jeremiah ‭17:5-8‬ ‭ESV‬‬


Jeremiah draws a sharp contrast between those who depend on human strength and those who depend on God. He makes it clear that we can't look to both as our basis of trust. We will either put our hope in the promises and power of people or we will look beyond human capability to the person and promises of God. When you and I make people the basis of our confidence, we always experience rejection and disappointment over and over again. Humans are not God. We are not perfect. But when we place our confidence in God, we are never, ever disappointed.

The prophet Habakkuk learned that "the righteous shall live by his faith." (Habakkuk 2:4), and he was not referring to his faith in others. Those who put more confidence in themselves or in other people than in God will find bitterness and disappointment in the end. They may appear to prosper for a season, but the journey will not get them to their desired goals. But those who transfer their trust from themselves or the promises of others to the Lord discover that their lives are deeply rooted in well watered soil. The Lord says in 1st Samuel 2:30 that, "For those who honor me I will honor, and those who despise me shall be lightly esteemed."

While writing this I had to perform a self evaluation. Am I depending more on myself than I am God? Are there any areas that I haven't given over to Him? Do I rely on my talent at work more than I do God's blessing? Do I take credit for my accomplishments rather than giving Him the glory? Ask yourself the same questions....are there any areas in your life, your business, your finances, your family, that you are depending more on yourself and others than on God?



“The fear of man lays a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is safe.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭29:25‬ ‭ESV‬‬

Comments