Content

Being content is not easy these days. It seems like every year everyone expects more and more. If you have a great year they want you to do more the next year. When you succeed once the pressure to duplicate that success is turned up even higher.

Too often, in our personal lives, our spouses, children, houses, or bank accounts don't fulfill the dreams we had hoped for, we are left feeling empty, maybe even slightly cheated, because society says that is the way it all is supposed to work. We think that acquiring more and always replacing what we have with something bigger and better is the only way to find contentment. DON'T BELIEVE IT!

"Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." Philippians 4:11-13 ESV

The contentment I am speaking about can only be found when you start with a grateful heart. Not a token sense of gratitude, but the realization that the Lord has blessed you with everything you need. (I have a friend that has shown this over and over to me over the last few years and I am just now starting to learn the lesson. Thanks Clay!)

Do you notice the difference? The first approach say that something is missing in our lives and we need to go get it. Maybe we aren't driving the King Ranch 4X4 or have a fat, overflowing bank account. It is tough to be content when all we think of is what we imagine everyone else has and we don't.

But my man Paul takes a different approach. He expresses gratitude instead of complaining about his personal deprivation. It is absolutely an acquired attitude. But when we finally approach everything in our lives with an "attitude of gratitude" it will come more naturally. And that is where we will find contentment.

Contentment is contagious. Think about the people that you surround yourself with for a minute...ask yourself the, "Are they always seeking more? Are they rubbing off on me? Am I always looking for the bigger, better deal?" You have to surround yourself with people who understand what it means to be truly content and then you can be some good for those you influence.

The moment that you size up what everyone else has or accomplishes, it is only a short leap to feeling that you have somehow been shortchanged.

A contented life is achieved when you focus on what God has given you not what YOU have given you. It is all God given and can as easily be taken away. Stop and thank Him that gives so freely the blessings you already have.

Comments