Words

I don't know about you but controlling my tongue is quite a feat. Whether the words I use are said in haste or in anger or in an attempt to be funny, speaking without thinking seems to be a fairly common problem these days. If you don't believe me, just take a look on Facebook or Twitter. As a matter of fact, I think that we live in a time of severely uncivil and thoughtless society.

I spend a lot of time around truck drivers and construction sites and trust me when I tell you that the language I hear isn't for the faint of heart. I believe that we try to rationalize such remarks by telling ourselves that they wouldn't say those things out loud if they actually meant it. But more and more, people say things and then later claim they were misunderstood or were just kidding. I think the real misunderstanding was their lack of understanding how their words might have been received.

The work place is no different than classrooms, homes, or any other place we spend time with people. Careless words abound everywhere. I have found that not choosing my words carefully is dangerous and habit forming. There moments of unguarded speech become too normal and bleed into interaction with the people I love most, namely my family, friends, and coworkers. And I have found it is a tough habit to break. It can be very difficult to flip the switch and say encouraging and uplifting things rather than demeaning or mean words.

I find that I struggle with what I call "careless" speech and I can be quick to become angry when I am working on something important or during stressful days. So if I seem stoic, I am giving myself a chance to choose my words carefully before they come flying out unchecked. Trying to stay calm and quiet is helping me to keep my words more deliberate and under control.

If there is only one thing you take from this, hear this: Watch your words! What might seem harmless or funny in one setting may be completely inappropriate in another. Try to be encouraging with your words!

Comments