No Rules

"For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery." Galatians 5:1 ESV

The french philosopher Albert Camus once said, "Integrity has no need of rules." Stop and think about that for a second. Rules are designed to keep behavior in order. If someone has strong character and lives with integrity, the rules are unnecessary. That person will act consistently with his or her values.

If being the "boss" has taught me anything it has taught me this: There is a such thing as too many rules. When I am looking for a new employee I am searching for people that possess high integrity. I want someone who holds themselves to a high standard. One thing I always tell them is that they will always know where they stand with me and what I expect out of them. As a leader, I realize that people have to grow into their values and learn to be accountable not to me but to their own character. It is important to give people a certain amount of freedom, as well as the responsibilities that go along with it. This allows them to grow. If they develop an inner life committed to honor and integrity, they have no need of my "rules" or anyone else's for that matter. They will live from the core of who they have become.

This not only applies to the people I am blessed to lead but to myself as well. I need to live with both freedom and responsibility. I need to decide what my true values are, things like inner courage, wisdom, a sense of duty, a commitment to something much larger than myself, and then grow into my values. The character that results is ultimately what assures success for me and my relationships. It is the glue of accountability that holds individuals together in a bond of trust.

I have noticed that companies put a higher priority on character more than competence these days. They know that someone who functions from their integrity will be free to focus on the overall mission without character issues getting in the way. Instead of having to spend time on correcting bad behavior, they can move forward towards the common goal and direction of the company.

Strong character creates trust within any group of people and it develops an uncommon bond that lasts for a lifetime. It doesn't matter if it's a family, a company, a team, or a church. These bonds are ones that are not easily broken.

This is hard for me and I am quite sure that some of you will struggle with it too but don't focus on the rules. Focus instead on becoming the kind of person who is so strong in character that the rules aren't even necessary for you. That is true freedom.

Comments