Questioning The Plan

As I sit here today...I find myself asking these questions...Why this way? What is the purpose of all this? Which way am I supposed to go? Where am I supposed to be? Who am I?

The truth is, these days, I just don't know anymore. But I know someone who does....

"About that time Herod the king laid violent hands on some who belonged to the church. he killed James the brother of John with the sword, and when he saw that it pleased the Jews, he proceeded to arrest Peter also. This was during the days of Unleavened Bread. And when he had seized him, he put him in prison, delivering him over to four squads of soldiers to guard him, intending after the Passover to bring him out to the people." Acts 12:1-4 ESV

"Now when Herod was about to bring him out, on that very night, Peter was sleeping between two soldiers, bound with two chains, and sentries before the door were guarding the prison. And behold the angel of the Lord stood next to him, and a light shone in the cell. He struck Peter on the side and woke him, saying, "Get up quickly." And the chains fell off his hands...When Peter came to himself, he said, "Now I am sure that the Lord has sent His angel and rescued me from the hand of Herod and from all that the Jewish people were expecting." Acts 12:6-7, 11 ESV

When I read the Bible I see examples like James being killed by Herod, while Peter is miraculously spared. God's providence and plans are not always easily understood. He uses us in different ways and allows different scenarios to play out in our lives in ways that we can't fully understand. He allows good and evil to exist together, often side by side in settings where that is uncomfortable. Things that you or I may never fully understand until we stand in His presence in Heaven.

I have had days when I felt like I could conquer anything that was thrown my way. And I have had days when I wanted to go find a hole deep in the ground and hide away from the world for fear of the things to come. I have had success and I have had failure. I have won and I have lost.

While I may not like to admit it, but my mind is finite and limited in my ability to understand everything that has happened to me in my life. As much as I would like to and often try to, I can't predict the future. And as much as there are those who try, they can't understand the infinite mind of God. We simply can't grasp the scope of God's plans for our lives and the lives of others woven together for good. And if I can be honest for a minute, would you really want to know all the details?

There is one thing that has always comforted me in times like these and it comes from Paul's letter to the Romans chapter 8:28, "And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to His purpose."

When God unfolds His plans in your life that you don't understand, don't ask why, ask what. Trust that God will show you one day how all the pieces of the puzzle fit together.

Comments