Living With Empty Pockets (Finding True Contentment)

"You have sown much, and harvested little. You eat, but you never have enough; you drink, but you never have your fill. You clothe yourselves, but no one is warm. And he who earns wages does so to put them into a bag with holes." Haggai 1:6 ESV

Imagine putting your paycheck into a bag that was full of holes. Imagine walking around with a pocket full of change and having a huge hole in both your pockets. Does this sound familiar? How many people do you know who really like their jobs, feel they get paid more than enough, and are totally satisfied with where they are in life? In our world today it almost goes without saying that our pockets are full of holes. Nothing in this world ever satisfies. Contentment seems impossible to find let alone achieve anywhere you look. 

The Lord offers each one of us rest. We really can find contentment in the Lord. In Philippians 4:13, the apostle Paul says, "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." Many people consider this verse to be one of the most inspiring in Scripture. But what preceded it is just as valuable...

"Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need."

Paul could do all things, that is, as long as he was relying on Christ' power and not his own. I am ashamed to admit it but this has been a struggle for me most of my life. I have always struggled with being in control of my own life. Whether it be looking for a the bigger, better deal in a job making more money (which you can never have enough of) or looking for a better place to live. You never can find contentment and satisfaction in the things that the world offers. When you look for satisfaction in the world you will always see a lack of contentment in your life. 

Paul and I have found this to be true, contentment is only found in a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Paul was a prisoner for Christ, he was beaten near death for Christ, and in every trial and difficulty that he faced he found contentment and rest for each day and the assurance that he would find contentment in the days ahead. Paul's pockets may have been empty but they never truly were. 

I wish I could tell you that I have figured this out in my life but I can tell you that until you stop grumbling and complaining and start to thank God for everything in your life you will never find contentment in anything. We have to stop grumbling and start thanking God for everything, big and small, that He provides for us. 

Comments