What Is Your True Identity?

"When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, He asked His disciples, "Who do people say that the Son of Man is?" "Well," they replied, "some say John the Baptist, some say Elijah, and others say Jeremiah or one of the other prophets." Then He asked them, "But who do you say I am?" Simon Peter answered, "You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God." Matthew 16:13-16

Peter was dead on with who he said Jesus was. This was the same Peter who would later deny Christ on three separate occasions. But for this moment, Peter was on the right track.

I am often tempted to turn from Christ and who He calls me to be.

During the course of my life, a various times, I have asked myself who am I? I wish I asked myself that question with more frequency because I know that I don't do it nearly enough. Who am I if I take my job out of the equation? Who am I if I am not a father? Who am I if I am not a friend? Uncomfortable questions to ask yourself huh? It can be impossible to think of yourself like that. For some, this can be a new concept: to begin to think of who you are and of who God has made you to be. To look at your interests and passions. To notice certain people in your life - your family, your spouse, your kids - in a different way. To see your potential and purpose in other things. For some people this can be quite unnerving. And also to stop and think for a moment about where God fits into all that.

Ask yourself as I do the same, "Who do you say He is?" Ask yourself the question He asked of the disciples. Write down what you think about. Do you believe that Christ is the Son of God? God gives freely when it comes to wisdom and revelation as to who He is and what He is all about. All we have to do is simply ask.

Don't allow your job, your hobby, or anything else to define who you are. Only God can establish your true identity.

Comments