Depression

Depression can be experienced at many levels and for many different reasons. It is rarely an easy thing to get out of and there is a difference between being depressed and living in depression. Something may go differently than you had hoped and you feel depressed about it. But when your choices and your life begin to look different because of the negative feelings you have then you are facing depression.

Depression is the fruit of something much deeper. You should not feel ashamed about your feelings, but you must know that God desires something better for you. He wants to comfort you and restore you to a life of joy. David asks God in Psalm 13:2, "How long must I take counsel in my soul and have sorrow in my heart all the day? How long shall my enemy be exalted over me?" And again in Psalm 88:1-5, "O Lord, God of my salvation, I cry out day and night before you. Let my prayer come before you, incline your ear to my cry! For my soul is full of troubles, and my life draws near to Sheol. I am counted among those who go down to the pit, I am a man who has no strength, like one set loose among the dead, like the slain that lie in the grave, like those whom you remember no more, for they are cut off from Your hand."

The neat thing is that we don't have to live in that sort of state. God desires for us to be restored to a life of joy and happiness. Psalm 43:5 says, "Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God, for I shall again praise Him, my salvation and my God." David also tells us in Psalm 46:1 that "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." David is trying to show us that even though we may feel like we are in the deepest darkest cave that God is the light that shines where there is no light. God will deliver us from our troubles but He does it in His time not ours. Psalm 69:13-15 says, "But as for me, my prayer is to you, O Lord. At an acceptable time, O God, in the abundance of your steadfast love answer me in your saving faithfulness. Deliver me from sinking in the mire, let me be delivered from my enemies, and from the deep waters. Let not the flood sweep over me, or the deep swallow me up, or the pit close its mouth over me."

I am so thankful that I serve a God that covers all sin and who comforts me in my times of affliction. Paul, a man all too familiar with suffering and the affects it can have on you(remember his thorn?). He tells us in his 2nd letter to the Corinthians, "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God." (2nd Corinthians 1:3-4 ESV)

Depression is nothing to shake a stick at or something that is to ignored. It is something that afflicts more people than you probably realize. If you are suffering with know that you aren't alone, there are a lot of us out in this world. God will help every single one of us if we come to Him and lean on Him. Reach out to someone, trust in Him, and allow His mercy to flow out into your life. I know it isn't easy but God loves you and you are valuable to Him.

Comments