Before Adam Had Eve, He Had A Job

Work is a good thing. Work is also a necessary thing if you want to survive. Work should always be a reflection of our God given talents, abilities, and passions. Work should be, dare I say it, FUN!

Tony Evans once was overheard to say, "Before Adam had Eve, He had a job!" We were all created to work in some form or fashion. Work is good. Adding value is always a positive thing. Using the gifts and abilities that we have been given is a good thing. Being compensated for using them in a productive way that benefits others is not only good, but the means God gave us to be self sufficient and able to help others.

If I have asked myself once, I have asked myself this question a thousand times, "What am I going to do with my life?" A lot of times I think I am trying to figure out my career when I am really trying to figure out my purpose. I bet more than one of you has asked the same question of yourselves or of others around you. The real question that you should be asking yourself is what you are going to do but why you are going to do it. And the answer needs to be one of purpose, meaning, and fulfillment not simply one of activity.

I have worked a few jobs in the past 20 years or so and I can tell you that not all of them hired me to do the same job. I have been a stock boy, a delivery man, a gopher, truck driver, salesman, and a manager. You have probably had different jobs during your work life as well. What you are doing today probably isn't what you have always done and probably isn't what you will always do in the future. People who have been in one line of work for their entire career are a rare thing these days. But people who know their purpose in life will never become obsolete.

When trying to decide what to do, stop and figure out what your purpose is. Then decide what to do, ask yourself how it will help you accomplish that purpose in your life, but don't do it on the basis of money, convenience, or availability, but on the basis of what you are passionate about. I promise that there will be times when you can just barely get by but those times will be temporary. Use your gifts, pursue your passions, and work toward your purpose. When you can do that, you will find that work isn't quite the burden that it once was, you will discover that it is truly a gift from God.

Make work an extension of who God made you to be.

Comments