Father Should Know Best

My father was and has always been a part of my life. He was always involved in the things that my sister did. And though I doubt that I have done that for my kids as well as he did for us, I have tried to follow his example. I strongly believe in the importance of a father's role in the lives of his children.

I worry about the vacuum left in our culture by absentee fathers. I know the obstacles can be enormous; a lot of men are divorced (I am one) or have jobs that keep them on the road much of the time. It is hard to balance meeting the family's financial needs with meeting their emotional needs. I've had a lot of conversations with men about this very subject. I asked them how did they know God's will for them in balancing their jobs that provide for their family with the responsibilities of being a father (being a parent not a pal.)

What I see is a common problem today is that there are "dad's" at home but they are "absentee" fathers. He comes home and tunes out his kids and tunes into the TV or his video games. The children often get the leftovers of their dad's time. His goals are often good but his goals are often misplaced. The goal that we should be seeking is to be more supportive of our kids and encourage them, you have no idea the impact of simply being there at bedtime.

If you are a father like me, I am speaking to you right now. We need to be careful to not become the "absentee" dad by being away from home too much, being unavailable when we are there, or investing our time in the wrong things. Too many kids, especially young men and boys, are growing up without a strong male role model in the house. Our society has often equated fatherhood with financial support and men there is more to it than that. A father's relationship with his daughter strongly influences her relationships with men later in her life. And your son will be strongly influenced by the way he sees you behave. He learns to be a good or bad husband from watching you.

If you are a father, be there for your children. There is no better way to make a lasting mark on this world than through your children. We have the ability to shape the next generation. We can either leave a lasting, positive legacy or a broken one. It is totally up to us, you and me.

Men, never underestimate the importance of your role as a father. Never forget that your involvement today will impact your children and your grandchildren.

Comments