Work

Work is good. I can honestly say I used to not think that way, that is, until I got older and realized that work is necessary to survival. Work should be a reflection of our God given talents, abilities, and passions. Work should be fun. (Did I just say that?)

I once heard a pastor named Tony Evans speak and he said this, "Before Adam had Eve, he had a job." At the time I heard this I was young and working a very "menial" job and didn't truly appreciate the wisdom behind his words. I heard them again the other day and it was like a switch flipped in my old, damage brain.

Work is a good thing. It allows us to add value to our lives and it allows us to use our gifts and abilities the way that God designed us for in the first place. Plus being compensated for using these gifts in a productive and positive way not only benefits us but benefits others as well.

When I was younger I used to ask myself "What am I going to do with my life?" A lot of times I think that we are trying to figure out what "career" we should go into when we should really be asking to figure out what our purpose is. I think the biggest question is what we are going to do but why are we going to do it. And too many times we think the answer lies in activity when it really lies in fulfillment, purpose, and meaning.

I have worked more than a few jobs in my 36 years on this rock we call Earth. And not all of them hired me to do the same thing. I have been a tire changer, a mechanic, a oil change technician(fancy term for the guy in the pit at the quick change oil place), a general manager, and a salesman. I bet some of you that are reading this have had a few different jobs too. I would bet to say some of you aren't working at the same job today that you were 5 or 10 years ago. And I would also bet to say that some of you won't be doing it in the future. People who have been in one line of work for their entire career are becoming a rarity. But I have found that people who know what their purpose in life is will never become obsolete.

I wish someone would have told me when I was a young man to find out what my purpose was in life then follow it. I believe it would have saved me a bunch of scars and maybe even a few less gray hairs.

If you are reading this and you find what your purpose is, then decide what to do and how to accomplish that purpose - not on the basis of money, convenience, or availability but on the basis of what you are passionate about. Don't misunderstand this, there will be times when you simply "get by" but those times are temporary. Use the gifts that God has entrusted you with to do His work and pursue the passion of your heart in His will. When you can do that, you'll find that work isn't the burden that you thought it was. That in reality it is a gift from God.

I have learned that it is great to love your work and a true blessing to enjoy it. 

Comments