How Great

For the last few weeks my pastor, Dr. John Thweatt, has been telling us how we need to make much of Jesus throughout everything we do. We need to make much of Him at home, at school, at the doctor's office; we need to make much of Jesus in everything that we do. This got me to thinking (I know, those that know me will tell you that this is a dangerous thing for me to do) but all the same it got my mind rolling. Then earlier this week I was asked to sing in our traditional service. I had to pause for a moment because a few months ago I had told myself that I wouldn't sing again until I felt like I was in a position spiritually to truly worship the way that I am supposed to. Then I thought back to a conversation that I had with a dear friend of mine that told me I was being selfish and cheating others out of a blessing by keeping my talent to myself. God didn't bless me with good looks, He didn't bless me with a quick mind, or a talent for making gold out of stubble but what He did give me was a desire in my heart to sing for Him and voice to match. There is no pride in that statement because I know that He touched me at a young age and gave me a talent, a talent that my grandpa used to tell me if I didn't use it that God would take it away. There have been some seriously low moments in my life and it is always the music that God inspires others to write that brings my heart back. Some are drawn by the words of the pastor, so simply drawn from the scriptures that God inspired, but I am drawn by music.

My earliest memories are of Sunday's in my grandmother Mosley's house after church when the family would meet for dinner around their table and in the background she always had music playing. Music by the Speer Family, The Imperials, The Gaither Vocal Band, or just some instrumental tunes of old time gospel hymns. That made a profound impact on me as a youngster. Listening to her sing, hum, or whistle the tunes that can only bring a smile to your face and a happy tear to your eye; it's moments like that I remember so vividly.

When my grandfather passed away in September 2004, my grandmother requested that I sing for the funeral. One of the songs she asked me to sing was "How Great Thou Art."  This was not an easy task for me mainly because of how I felt about my "PawPaw." We were very close and I loved him very much. He always had a wise word for me when I needed to hear it the most and this song was one of his favorites. I can remember when I was youngster standing next to him in church back in Arkansas and seeing the tears run down the old mans cheeks every time they played or sang this song. It is a memory that will forever be burned into my mind. Fortunately, I was able to record the song with my cousin and I didn't have to try and attempt to sing it live because honestly I don't believe that I could have. 

When I was asked to sing this Sunday, I began to think about what I would bring before the church and before the throne. I asked if I could sing "In The Presence" but was told that the choir would be singing it this week and as I usually do I began to worry. Then as I rode home with the kids after church, I began to hum the song that has always meant so much to me in my life and it is a song that makes much of Jesus. It was right there the whole time and I was just standing in the way of what God wanted me to do the whole time.

I am praying that God use me as His instrument this Sunday and I would ask that you pray the same prayer. I would ask that you pray specifically that God use this song to lift His name and make much of Jesus. Because if I sing a song for myself I can't make much of the person that it was written for in the first place.

Below are the lyrics of "How Great Thou Art" in case you have never seen them before or in case it has been awhile since you just read through them. Please read through them and allow the Spirit to speak to you through the words. And if you are in or around Pell City, Alabama on Sunday please join us for worship at 9am!

How Great Thou Art

O Lord my God, when I in awesome wonder
Consider all the worlds thy hands have made,
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy power throughout the universe displayed:


Refrain

Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to thee:
How great thou art! How great thou art!
Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to thee:
How great thou art! How great thou art!
 
When through the woods and forest glades I wander
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees,
When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,
And hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze:

 
Refrain

And when I think that God, his Son not sparing,
Sent him to die, I scarce can take it in,
That on the cross, my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died to take away my sin.


Refrain

When Christ shall come with shout of acclamation
And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart!
Then I shall bow in humble adoration,
And there proclaim,
My God, how great thou art!

Comments