Bitter

Bitterness is like being at the bottom of an old, deep water well. The sides are slippery with a slime of resentment. The floor is covered with the sticky mud of anger. The nasty smell of betrayal fills the air and it stings the eyes like ammonia. And a dark cloud of self-pity blocks the view of what appears to be a tiny exit at the top of the well.

Bitterness is also like a prison. The prisoners are also victims. They are chained around the walls of this self made prison. They are victims of betrayal, abuse, or anything else that you can come up with. As you stroll by they lift their chains as they also lift their voices. They lift their voices to cry out for mercy and for relief.

They grumble and sulk. They are angry at someone for getting something they felt they deserved. They feel like the whole world is against them.

I lived in the pit that is bitterness and I wallowed in the mire that is anger for most of my life. It took wise counsel and much prayer to make me understand that I didn't have to live that way any more. Although, from time to time I find myself slipping back down the slippery walls into the pit. And then I realize that I don't have to be in that nasty, dank, smelly place. That I can come out of it and be cleaned from the mire that was clinging to me, clinging to my soul. Be cleaned of the anger that clouds my judgement and remove the root of bitterness that has grown there. It all comes down to one simple thing: CHOICE! 

We can choose to chain ourselves to the hurt that someone or something has brought upon us or we can choose to put away the hurt before it becomes hate. You see, bitterness is the root of all anger and hatred. It is a root that if not pulled out when it is young blooms into a field of hate and anger. We have the ability to choose like the brother of the prodigal son did. He chose to languish in his anger and bitterness towards his brother. Or we can choose to join the party. If we are a Christian, then we already have an invitation to join the party. And there is no one that take that away from us.

If we allow God to deal with our bitterness and anger He will remind us that what we have is more important than what we don't. No matter what happens we still have our relationship with God. He reminds that no one, not even the enemy, can take that away from us.


Comments