Barbershop

When I was a kid and would come back to Arkansas to visit my grandparents for the summer, my grandfather would take me to Brady's Barbershop in Forrest City to get my annual "flattop." I was in awe of the talk that went on among them men in this local barbershop. I especially enjoyed listening to Mr. Brady. He was one of those people who didn't realize the platform that they had but used to impact the life of the young men that came in his shop.

He would always ask me how long I was going to be around and wanted to know about my "love life," a subject that always made a big eared kid like me blush. He would also encourage me, offer a "barbers" advise, and show that he was genuinely interested in what I had to say. In some ways, it was like the stereotypical small town barbershop you would see in movies or on The Andy Griffith Show, with practical wisdom flying around as much as the freshly cut hair. But it was real and honest, and that made an impact on young guys like me. Whether he was aware of it or not, Mr. Brady had an audience with men, especially young ones, and used it to influence and impact their lives. Many a young man would come in expecting a hair cut but would leave with so much more.

Mr. Brady didn't seem too concerned with impressing people with status or fitting into someones role that they made for him. He believed that if he simply listened and showed that he cared, God would sort out the rest. As he faithfully did the best he could at cutting hair, he was able to be involved in the lives of those who came into his shop. And everyone who walked in the door would leave feeling a little better about life than when they came in.

In my mind, that is a wise way to live. God has put us each in a place where no one else stands. There are people around us who will look up to us, listen to us, and follow our example for no other reason than because we are available, have shown that we actually care, and have offered whatever wisdom we have. That's a role worth appreciating - and using to build into the lives of others.

We stand where no one else stands in the lives of those around us. Put down the iPhone or Blackberry and make a point to engage in conversation with those around you as often as you can and share the lessons from your life experiences as often as the opportunity presents itself. We all have to opportunity and ability to make a positive difference.

Comments